Sunday, July 8, 2007

A fishy story

Yesterday I was listening to the BBC radio reporting on the very popular Doctor Fish spa in Japan. Patrons dangle their feet in tanks of water filled with doctor fish which nibble the dead flaky skin and leave them clean and looking shiny new.
Wikipedia states, 'the term doctor fish is the name given to two species of fish which live and breed in outdoor pools of some Turkish spas where they feed on the skin of patients with psoriasis. The fish are like combfishes in that, they only consume the affected and dead areas of the skin, leaving the healthy skin to grow'.
Personally I think I would rather use my foot bath which gives my feet a massage or spa depending on which button I press. It is not as ticklish as these 'nibble fish' apparently are, also I would be continually on the look out for other fresh water fish such as piranah, now that would really clean the skin off my bones.

3 comments:

Ned said...

Rollo doesn't believe they are really doctors at all. A doctor would never recommend consuming diseased skin.

glenniah said...

Perhaps as they are fish doctors and not person doctors they have a different code of ethics. Instead of the hippocratic oath perhaps they took the 'fishy oath'.
Glen

Ned said...

A fish muttering oaths comes to nibble on your skin - sounds dicey.