Tuesday, November 13, 2007

A summer's day in Mandurah

Last Sunday was the perfect day for an outing. It was 90 degrees or so, the sun shine brightly, (obviously or it wouldn't have been 90 degrees). We decided on a short trip of around 30 minutes to visit Nath. When we drove up to the freeway we realized everybody else had the same idea. Where I live the locals either stay indoors or go travelling away from Mandurah to avoid the holiday crush. So bravely, we joined the holiday makers and drove slowly along the freeway. When we reached a set of lights ten minutes from home we had to wait, as you generally do at traffic lights. We sat patiently, waiting, waiting, waiting. After being at the lights for 40 minutes and being the clever detectives we are we realized there was a problem ahead. Then we had a bright idea, let's go along the coast road and come out further down the free way.
So at the nearest corner we turned and 50 other cars followed us. I felt a bit like Forrest Gump must have done when he was running and half the world followed him, thinking he knew something important.
Off we travelled in convoy, in and out of streets and laneways, once we even went on a dirt track, much to the disgust of my new car. Finally, we reached our destination, and surprise, surprise, the entrance to the main road was closed. Apparently there were road works happening and this was the reason for the hold up. Can you believe it? On a Sunday when every one is out on the one road to anywhere. I thought about going on the road less travelled but got lost once so I remained where I was. Eventually I turned around and headed back where we had come from. Cars were still following me and I felt as if I had made new friends that afternoon. Perhaps we should have stopped and had a picnic lunch with them all. That would really have been blogworthy.
After spending over an hour driving around we decided to stop at our favourite spot at the Marina for lunch and enjoy a leisurely walk along the beach. I'm not quite sure what happened to all my followers but only a few of them turned into the Marina with us.

Later that day we had a surprise visit from Nath. He had decided as we couldn't come to him he would pay us a visit, which was lovely. However, he came on his motor bike and as a mother I had to worry until I knew he had made it home safely. He messaged me the instant he turned into his street, before he went inside his house as per my instructions. Funny isn't it? our kids are always our kids even when they are 27 years old. I love that line from a movie which says, 'a mother holds her child's hand for a short time, but holds their hearts forever.' It was something like that anyway.
Well its summer downunder so I'm happy and can put up with all these small worries.

No comments: