Friday, November 23, 2007

A Place to Meet

My latest addiction is the online site Facebook. This is a great way of social networking and keeping up with friends. It seems everyone is on Facebook these days, even the Leader of the Opposition, (who by the 24th November may become the new Prime Minister of Australia). He has 90,000 friends on Facebook. As I don't aspire to having the highest post in the land, I'm happy with my 16 or so friends. Facebook is a fun way of catching up with people you may not see very often. If you are pressed for time you can invite people to write on your Wall. This is a space on your profile that allows friends to post mesages for you and your other friends to see. Or you can keep in touch by uploading photos and letting people know what you have been up to.
There is provision to put down all the books you have read and movies you have seen. Or you might prefer to just send a 'poke' to someone, sort of similar to a physical nudge for attention.
For $1 you can send a gift, or choose to send something free, like a tree or a snowman.

There are a plethora of activities on Facebook for you to choose from. Apart from social networking Facebook can also be used to spread the news about a new business venture you have started. One softdrink brand (can't say which) launched a competition online with slideshows, video interviews and wallpapers and attracted a community of over 7000 friends. (The Sunday Times 30/09/2007).

People worry about lack of face to face content, yet conversations online are often much deeper and more meaningful than a conversation started at the 'pub'. Besides, most Facebook users seem to have face to face contact as well as meeting online.

Facebook also has a safety system where users are provided with the means to report any inappropriate comments. You can also choose what details you want to be made public.

Don't be scared of Facebook. Come on and try it. You can even add me as your first friend if you want.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Is this just a friend-drive to steer others to your Facebook?

I did see something on your profile that inspired me on mine, it was the posting links. Now I religiously post my blog links. If I had any friends, it could drive traffic to my blog but as I don't...

Still a link is a link is a link, they say. Well, they probably don't say that. I don't know, I am totally out of the loop, I have this abandoned Facebook profile.

*considers Facebook suicide*

glenniah said...

Heh, no not a friend-drive. I copied the idea from you when you wrote about a certain ladies gym.
I shall go immeadiately to your facebook and do something *grin*