Tuesday, November 20, 2007

June is the cruellest month.......heralding winter downunder

I have never been fond of the cold dark times of winter. I would like to imagine winter as a time to rest and pull my energy in just as the bulbs do, a season where new life is beginning deep underground where it wont be seen until the spring. But alas all I feel is gloomy and cold during this dark depressing time. Then I discovered my feeling sad has a clinical name, Seasonally Affective Disorder (SAD). This hasn't changed my feelings toward winter but at least I have a legitimate excuse for the way I am affected. Thanks to the wonderful world of the web I have found many suggestions on how to overcome this disorder. I can go and stare into special lighting fixtures until my head aches and I begin to see stars, somehow this isn't appealing. There are other high intensity discharge sources that buzz loudly, (affecting the ears) and are extremely bright. I'm already suffering emotional pain with SAD, I really don't want to cause myself further physical pain so I'm not going to confer with anyone who is a sales person for a lighting company.
Now that I know my condition is possibly caused by lack of sun and Vitamin D and a coldness that chills me to the bone, I am going to take action my way.
My Plan: Wear bright colours; catch up on those tasks that were screaming at me to complete all through summer; Enjoy the company of good friends over dinner and a nice warm fire;
Throw a Murder Mystery Night, murders are surely more enjoyable in winter! Catch up on reading and writing;
I can head North for winter or alternatively just do lots of sleeping.
Perhaps I could imagine I am Persephone the Greek goddess who was pulled down into the undeground by Pluto the king of darkness. When she was away from the earth, the cold north winds began to blow and snow covered the places where the colourful flowers had bloomed. The earth became dark and cold. Later Pluto allowed Persephone to return to earth and dwell in the realms of light for six months of the year, then the earth began to bloom, trees bore fruit and crops flourished.
If this flight of fancy doesn't help, I will have to observe parts of nature in winter that I haven't noticed. For example the odd shaped leafless branches of trees set against a wintry sunset. Or a watefall fresh and sparkling from the first winter rains. I can do it, I know I can,
If you have any suggestions, please let me know, I will try anything.

No comments: