Saturday, September 10, 2011

THE TICKET MACHINE

Today I paid a quick visit to a large Food store to buy a lunch of chicken and Caesar salad. Choosing the salad was easy, there were several containers with Caesar salad written on them and all I had to do was make my choice.
Then I went to buy the hot chicken. Generally, this is a simple task , you just open the server and take out the chicken of your choice, go through the check out, pay for your purchase and away you go. In my case it was away back home to watch the last half of an AFL (Australian Football League) game. Lo and behold when I arrived at the Server I discovered it was locked and barred and yet contained many chickens.I found out later that these chickens had all been ordered for a party. Who does that? Probably people who were watching the same AFL game that we were.
There was nobody waiting at the Deli so I hurriedly went to the ticket machine, tugged on the roll and pulled out a number. Unfortunately I must have tugged too hard and I pulled out five other numbers apart from mine. By this time other customers had begun arriving at the deli counter. The staff were beginning to call out numbers, (numbers which I greedily held in my hand). 'What should I do'? I asked myself. 'Do I quickly dispose of these numbers discreetly?' Then I envisaged the person ahead with number 90 having to wait in line because the five people with numbers in front of her were not presenting at the counter. So I decided not to upset the military procession of the staff as they called out numbers 84 to 89. As calmly as possible I walked along the line and said 'here you are' as I gave out the numbers. A couple thought I was just being generous, the rest thought I was a bit weird and greedy.
Finally, in the fullness of time my number came up and it was my turn. I moved to the counter with my ticket held tightly in my hand. Proof I was not pushing in, I had a legal right to be there. Only to be informed that yes there was indeed an oven full of chickens, however none would ever be mine. They had all been pre-arranged for a party.
Downcast, I left the Store and hurried out to the Car Park and headed home, just me and my Salad.

No comments: